Saturday, October 01, 2011

THIS WEEK IN BOONSBORO HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA:

DRAMA I: This week, we worked on tones for a large amount of time. After receiving a tongue lashing for not rehearsing well, (don't all Drama I's get reprimanded for that?), we rehearsed long and hard for the Poetry Out Loud competition.

During this time, student completed a peer activity, and each had a conference with me concerning current issues, future plans, and areas of focus for the next activity. I truly enjoyed speaking with each of you. It was nice getting on the same page.

This weekend, a couple of you will be receiving invitations to proceed to the next step of the Poetry Out Loud competition. In order to move forward, I will need to see you after school on Wednesday and Thursday in order for you to proceed. You'll be receiving a message this weekend, and/or on Monday.

We finished the week with our final poetry presentations, and I must openly state that this group of students showed more promise on this front than any Drama I students since the “Godspell I” era students. It's possible the “Godspell II” era students were right up there too. Hmmm....is it time to start thinking about “Godspell III?” No....not yet....they have much to prove. For now, they are growing and developing at a very rapid pace. They still have a long ways to go.....and miles to go before they sleep......

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY I: This was the seminal photography lessons week that included instruction in FSTOPS, SHUTTERSPEED, FOCAL LENGTHS, and EXPOSURE concepts across the board. In years past, I thought I taught this properly, but there were always high level of confusion involving aperture. I'm sure someone out there has a great jingle or ditty to remember this, but I still haven't developed one!

However, this year, for the first time, I created a really good assignment that forced students to “figure it out” while they were still in school under my guidance. Thus, after multiple failures, and some backward thinking, those who were confused came to me, and the confusion was cured. If you know anything about photography, then, you know that these concepts are the very ones that open the world of possibility to you. Once you get this, then, everything else just becomes and obsession.

This weekend, this group is taking water-based photographs demonstrating complete understanding of the big three, ISO, APERTURE, and SHUTTERSPEED. Remember, you're submitted the same picture to me twice, one with a slow shutter, and the other with a fast shutter. NOTE: On October 7th, we'll be displaying some of their work for everyone to see. You'll get a chance to vote on what you think is best and/or showing the most progress. There's more to come on that front in a moment.

DRAMA III: This Friday, October 7th from 6:00-7:00, this group will be performing a series of short one-act plays for public consumption. Unlike the last time, we are treating this as a “true” production that we're actually advertising. Each piece is approximately 10-15 minutes, and unlike the skits from a few weeks back, are more “authentic” acting pieces. Each has been directed by a student, and each contains an actual director, producer, and a technical crew. These will be much more organized and entertaining than the last. They will also appeal to a much older group than the last.

Therefore, that's what we worked on in class all week. Certain groups were handicapped by the publishers snail-mail tactics, but I have confidence in their ability to make their productions work. I hope that all of you can join us on Friday. Whether or not this group realizes it, this will be a large night for them since they will be cementing their immediate futures with the successes and failures of next Friday. There is a great paraable in the Bible about a tree that doesn't produce year after year, so the owner of it says to “give it one more season” to produce. Otherwise, it will be cut and thrown into the fire. There's a bit of a public challenge for some of you.

In truth, I think we're starting to fall into a better rhythm in this class, and I think that many individuals in the class can see where they belong in the program. We have made some very intelligent improvements to the loft, piano closet, and entryway, and that was important to me because it meant that they were seeing these areas as “their space” instead of Drama's space. I told everyone last year that we would need to learn to walk before we could run. I would say we're “trotting” or “jogging” at this point.

NOTE: I still don't think you're rehearsing enough after school, but that's me. I trust my directors and producers to determine that. Remember, you are performing for the class and for me on Wednesday. That will leave you two more days to correct that which is still in need of correction. There is much on the line for this group.

FINAL REMINDERS:

Drama I, again, REMEMBER THE FEDERAL CARDS!

Digital Photography: Let it rain, and try to get near a water source. If nothing else, use your faucet! Just don't use your toilet! Someone will chuckle at that. NO NAMES PLEASE!!!!

Drama III: I hope you're using the weekend to go over your lines, tones, etc.

COMING IN OCTOBER: At long last, we'll start posting some videos, pictures, and works from all three classes on Facebook. We still don't have all the forms, but I'll start posting all who have submitted them. It is a VERY busy time in a program that has become TWICE as busy as it used to be. Products...products...products....that's my goal. Word..

MjB

3 Comments:

Blogger Cody James said...

Ahhhh I loved the assignment with water...and if/when you ever(any time in the future) do Godspell again, I want to see it soooooooo badly

1:02 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

It will occur one more time...at some point.

MjB

5:31 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

I'm Gonna definitely try to make it Friday. I'll see if I can switch shifts with the other manager! :3

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home