One of Two Very Difficult Posts
DEFINITIONS: SENIOR PLUS--a senior who has been in this program at least three year, four classes, having had multiple opportunities on the stage.
Both of the following posts are equally hard for me. One will contain a cast list, and the other contains the following unpopular decision. I will leave a small gap between the two to verify that the first has "made the rounds."
Somewhere about halfway through the second day of rehearsals, I came to the most awful realization. There would be no equitable way to cast the females in this cast, and since I refuse to double-cast this play, I had to make some tough decisions.
At first, I couldn't find a solution, but then, it hit me all at once...I needed to really analyze the essence of where we are as a program. This is a Drama I semester, and it should be a Drama I production. However, as you know, they, as a class, have not earned that production.
Despite this, there are many in that room who have earned the right, and it would be criminal not to offer them the opportunity to act. How can we grow and advance as a program if those younger folks don't receive the opportunity to experience the stage? We know the answer to this.
This thought was followed by the realization that all of the "Seniors Plus", those who have been here for many years, with many productions, and even opportunities to direct, had done a great job in auditioning. Not one of them failed to give me a really strong showing at the audition. How could I cast one of them over the other? I couldn't. All of you were great.
Then, sadly, I connected the dots, and realized that the answer to my casting dilemma was right in front of me. The only way to cast this show with the benefit of the program in mind, was not to cast any of the females who I am calling the "Seniors Plus" into this production. To do so would create yet another opportunity for you to grow, develop, and experience the stage. However, this is not your semester, and in reality, it is the time for others to shine.
Yes, this is true of the males in that category as well. Everything I have stated applies to them as well, but I don't have a show without them. I'm not even sure I have what I really want with them. We'll see. A couple are REALLY going to have to step up to the plate here and give me more than they have ever given me.
Is this fair to you? In my gut, it's totally unfair to you. In my brain, this is the only logical approach. If you want to express your outrage, I am prepared to accept it. Somewhere in your heart, because I know all of you so well, you realize that this is the right decision for the program, even at the cost of your personal happiness.
Yes, I am doing a production next semester, and no, it won't be open to everyone in Drama. It will be open only to those who are enrolled in Drama in the second semester. Feel free to e-mail, or post your angst here. I will be happy to discuss this with you, and I'll let you smack me around tomorrow if you need to do that. After the emotions wear off, I would hope that your logic takes over.
All of you have given me so much over the years, and I am not forgetting that. I do not lie when I tell you this is harder on me than you. Talk to me. I'll post the cast list between 9:00-10:00.
MjB
Both of the following posts are equally hard for me. One will contain a cast list, and the other contains the following unpopular decision. I will leave a small gap between the two to verify that the first has "made the rounds."
Somewhere about halfway through the second day of rehearsals, I came to the most awful realization. There would be no equitable way to cast the females in this cast, and since I refuse to double-cast this play, I had to make some tough decisions.
At first, I couldn't find a solution, but then, it hit me all at once...I needed to really analyze the essence of where we are as a program. This is a Drama I semester, and it should be a Drama I production. However, as you know, they, as a class, have not earned that production.
Despite this, there are many in that room who have earned the right, and it would be criminal not to offer them the opportunity to act. How can we grow and advance as a program if those younger folks don't receive the opportunity to experience the stage? We know the answer to this.
This thought was followed by the realization that all of the "Seniors Plus", those who have been here for many years, with many productions, and even opportunities to direct, had done a great job in auditioning. Not one of them failed to give me a really strong showing at the audition. How could I cast one of them over the other? I couldn't. All of you were great.
Then, sadly, I connected the dots, and realized that the answer to my casting dilemma was right in front of me. The only way to cast this show with the benefit of the program in mind, was not to cast any of the females who I am calling the "Seniors Plus" into this production. To do so would create yet another opportunity for you to grow, develop, and experience the stage. However, this is not your semester, and in reality, it is the time for others to shine.
Yes, this is true of the males in that category as well. Everything I have stated applies to them as well, but I don't have a show without them. I'm not even sure I have what I really want with them. We'll see. A couple are REALLY going to have to step up to the plate here and give me more than they have ever given me.
Is this fair to you? In my gut, it's totally unfair to you. In my brain, this is the only logical approach. If you want to express your outrage, I am prepared to accept it. Somewhere in your heart, because I know all of you so well, you realize that this is the right decision for the program, even at the cost of your personal happiness.
Yes, I am doing a production next semester, and no, it won't be open to everyone in Drama. It will be open only to those who are enrolled in Drama in the second semester. Feel free to e-mail, or post your angst here. I will be happy to discuss this with you, and I'll let you smack me around tomorrow if you need to do that. After the emotions wear off, I would hope that your logic takes over.
All of you have given me so much over the years, and I am not forgetting that. I do not lie when I tell you this is harder on me than you. Talk to me. I'll post the cast list between 9:00-10:00.
MjB

8 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
Read the definition at the beginning Moriah. You have been casted.
MjB
I wanted to verufy that I read this and also that I know you have everyone's best interest at heart.
~Brianne
I can feel the anticipation in the air...its uncomfortable. :D
I felt my audition was superb Friday. I deserve a part in this play.
Chris...shhhh...before I block you.
MjB
I can feel and uncomfortable something in the air, but it's not anticipation.
It's going to be longer....can't find the thumbdrive where I stored the list, and I'm not going to try to recall from memory. I have a typed copy here somewhere. Hang on.
MjB
P.S. Stop posting random comments on Facebook about this. Send your comments directly to me. I'll address them. Yoy!
Post a Comment
<< Home