Wednesday, March 07, 2007

THE STATE OF THE UNION...oops...DRAMA NATION

The State of the Drama Nation (Much Ado About Nothing) 2007

The generalized state of things is fairly stable. In general, we are relatively on track, except for all of the questions and concerns listed below. Please review the following carefully.

ACTING

Considering where we were last Monday, obviously, we made some leaps and bounds this past week. There are certainly a large number of positives from the past few days. Honestly, you’re not that far away.

Rather than me overwhelm you with my redundant commentary, allow me to share some feedback that I received from Kaitlynn and Jacob last night. For the record, I didn’t ask them for feedback, so these comments are reactions.

1. “What’s with the enunciation in this show?”

2. “Am I supposed to understand what ______________ says?”

3. “Their emotions are clear, but I can’t understand everything they say.”

4. “The girls really get too high-pitched when they’re yelling.”

I think that feedback is legitimate. I really do, and in some ways, I find the feedback to be pleasing. Foremost, I am grateful that your lines have tones. Really, that’s a major step on the road to doing Shakespeare correctly.

However, Shakespeare is ALL ABOUT THE WORDS!!!! It’s poetry, it’s witty, it’s punny. It’s not that you can’t enunciate or articulate; you’re just not doing it! Therefore, on this day off, I would advise the following:

1. Practice saying your lines clearly with tone.

2. Record yourself saying the lines, and listen. Better yet, find someone who

hasn’t heard the show a thousand times, and deliver a speech to them. Ask

individual if they understood what you said.

The following comment came from a student whom I have in English. We are reading the play in class, and she, generally speaking, understands the play. I found this comment to be quite critical.

1. “If Leonato knows that Hero is dead, why is she so upset?”

Wow….great question. Do the Leonatos know the answer? Does anyone know the answer? Better yet, does anyone know why that point is redundantly misunderstood? Please, post an answer.

Otherwise, volume continues to be a major factor. It’s not constant, but it is a fairly consistent pattern. You must understand that your audience is in the lighting booth. They need to hear you. Of course, it would help if they would stop talking in the lighting booth, but that’s an issue for later.

Secondarily, or sixthly, ha…ha…ha…I also have a concern about your talking over the audience’s laughter, assuming there is some. This is particularly true of the Dogberry scenes. Please…in advance….allow them to laugh.

Finally, I would like to state that this is as challenging an acting experience as you will find. I’m sure that most of you realize that. It requires constant attention and focus. I still find too many of you to be unfocused.

Having said that, I would merely like to state that I haven’t “checked out” of this production yet. I very much believe in its potential at this point. I really do. It could go either way from my perspective. That’s where the seniors enter the picture. It’s the last photograph of your career. Set good examples, and whatever you do, don’t compromise excellence. You have three days left on the stage. Cherish them.

CURRENT GRADE: C+

STAGE CREW

I am very happy with the progress that you have made. I think we corrected those things that we’re making some of you crazy. I hope so. Anyway, I haven’t heard any bickering or complaining, so I’m assuming that all is well. Here are my concerns and suggested corrections:

1. You clearly don’t have enough light during the traveler scenes.

2. You don’t have enough light on the side stages.

SOLUTION: I am going to buy some flashlights for you today. I’ll look for ones that attach to your belt or head. That’s the easiest solution. However, I do have glow in the dark paint in my room. Would you like to try that on the tape? It works. I need to know early today.

1. We haven’t covered the teasers and tormentors. I am going to tape the positions of them this afternoon when I go to school. However, I need to know who will be in charge of keeping them in their place.

My only criticism is your noise level during scene changes. You need to walk quietly, slowly, efficiently. Some scenes do not require a fast change. Therefore, you should take your time and be quiet. We can play music during the traveler scenes, but we can’t cover your noise during a traveler scene. OK?

Otherwise, I will buy another roll of blue tape. Obviously, the purple tape isn’t as durable as the blue. Ah…the lessons of life. What else do you need? Wear ALL BLACK.

CURRENT GRADE: A-

LIGHTS

Thanks to Devon and Lori for all of their work there. Thanks also to Aaron and Jacob Lovelady for their assistance. Generally speaking, the system is in place. I’m not always happy with the way things look, but as always, we’re working with such limitations that it’s very hard to do anything more.

I do notice that some lights are being added at odd times, particularly in II. I. Devon, I would like the lights to come on slightly before the actor hits the space in which he/she delivers his/her lines. Otherwise, can we talk gels in the middle row?????

DEVON!!! I know that this isn’t just a light issue, but the cords haven’t been taped yet either!!!! Help!!!!!

CURRENT GRADE: B+

SOUND

Cierra is very easy to work with. I have to take the blame for the sounds being so late. Officially, we need to blame St. Bernard. Yoy…. Anyway, I will construct the master discs today, and that will help a great deal. For those of you on stage, be flexible and know that when you hear noises in the background, you need to be LOUDER!

John, check your e-mail. I found Adam’s music for you. You need to practice that today!!!!

CURRENT GRADE: Incomplete

PUBLICITY

We need to have an announcement placed in the bulletin for Friday. Also, since we didn’t get one in for tomorrow, we will need one read over the intercom in the morning. Kelly, can you take care of that? Here is the announcement:

BOONSBORO HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA WILL PRESENT WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE’S “MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING” TONIGHT, FRIDAY, AND SATURDAY NIGHT AT 7:30 P.M. TICKETS ARE $6 FOR ADULTS AND $5 FOR STUDENTS, AND THEY CAN BE PURCHASED ON ALL THREE LUNCH SHIFTS OR AT THE DOOR. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, SEE MR.BAIR OR ANY DRAMA MEMBER.

Furthermore, I think we need a contingency plan in the even school is cancelled tomorrow. I highly doubt that it will be, but who knows? Anyway, I would suggest the following: In the event of a cancellation on Thursday, we should add a Saturday matinee at 2:00 p.m. Publicizing this is obviously the hard part. However, we could attack that on Friday. Any conflicts?

CURRENT GRADE: B- (I’m not hearing the buzz about the show….)

COSTUMES

While this section should be dedicated to Renata, unfortunately, it needs to be addressed to many of you who aren’t responsible for the creation of the costumes. When will you remember to bring your stuff? Holy cow…if Renata can remember everyone else’s stuff, why can’t you remember your own clothing? That’s frustrating. Here’s the list of “stuff” bothering me:

1. Sigh….the pants get tucked into the socks. The socks are aligned at the same level as the top of the “faux boots.” It’s not that hard. I still haven’t seen some of you where the boots. Is this passive resistance? You will wear them. People in this era didn’t wear khaki Dockers.

2. Girls….do I need to say more. Stage lights are bright and revealing. In the immortal words or Mercutio, “The slip…the slip. Can you not conceive?”

3. Shoes…..what are my Beatrice’s wearing? I am going to a Wal-Mart today. If you need something, speak now.

4. Otherwise, Friar’s wore sandals, not jeans. John, do you have sandals? Does anyone have sandals we can borrow? (By the way John, I need to wear your outfit during II. iii.)

5. I am heading to a costume shop later. If we need anything, say it now!

CURRENT GRADE: RENATA A (It would be an A+ if she would see things my way in Act V!)

EVERYONE ELSE’S CURRENT GRADE: D-

ART

While I think everything looks great, we’re still not finished. That’s a bit troubling. I don’t know when you’re going to get to it, but well….yeah…there you go. We could go on as it is, but I wouldn’t be completely satisfied, and I don’t think you would be either. Yes?

CURRENT GRADE: B+

SINGING

Well…finally…yesterday…we sounded like we knew what we were doing. However, now that we can actually sing it, that leads to the following concerns:

1. Does everyone know what he or she is doing in this scene?

2. According to Brad, we are singing, but we’re not acting. We need to smile, act as if we’re enjoying ourselves. In other words, we are characters in the play. Act. Smile.

3. Mandy, shouldn’t your lines say “us” or “we” instead of “I” and “me?”

4. Do you really need me at this point? I think my presence on stage could be a distraction. I could sing from the wings. I don’t mind going on stage. You tell me. I guess we should test it during the in-school performance on Thursday.

5. We need a different CD player.

CURRENT GRADE: C (We waited too long to get this moving, but we’re closing the gap quickly!)

PROPS

Amanda seems to have things under control. There are some random moments where things are missing, but I’m not sure why. Do you need anything?

CURRENT GRADE: B+

MAKEUP

Ha…Ha….Yes…well…there are some serious makeup concerns. I will list them below:

1. Jackie needs to be an older man. Facial hair would be lovely.

2. The Pirates, I mean…Watchmen, need to be men. Facial hair would be great.

3. Corey Hackley needs stubble to look more menacing. He’s so pretty as it stands.

4. Corey and Joe enter Act V looking a bit bloodied. Someone, like Pattie, should attend

to that. I’ll get the stage blood today.

5. Both Leonatos need to be made to look older.

6. The Ursulas need to be older too.

7. The Sexton needs to be a man. A beard would be lovely.

8. Dogberry and Verges need to look dirtier. I bought beads for Austin’s hair. Where are they? Who is putting them on him?

9. Does anyone have the makeup list? Maybe I do….

CURRENT GRADE: F- (I can’t even blame anyone!)

CONCESSIONS

I know that you’re working on this, but you MUST communicate with each other today!!! Who is making what? I heard that Mrs. Sumpter will be there all three nights. What else do we need? Again, I’m going to a store later.

TICKETS AND USHERING

I need names! This happened at the One-Acts. I was told that there were enough people, and one night we had one usher. One night, we had 12 ushers. Please!!!! VERIFY!!!!

FINALLY

Wow…every time I type this, I remember how much goes into a production. It’s a bit overwhelming. However, the hard part is nearly behind us.

Don’t get too troubled by school being cancelled today. I’m one of those people who really believes that snow is a miracle. I will never grow tired of watching it fall. It’s like the ocean. To me, it’s so beyond my understanding. I always try to thank God for the snow. It’s too beautiful to complain.

As for me, I don’t think I’ll be around a computer much until 5:00 or so. I’m going to Frederick shortly, and then, around 5:00 or so, I’ll make my way back to school to deal with all that needs to be done there. I’ll check the BLOG until 1:00 or so this afternoon, and then, I’m off.

Actors, please read my words in the first section carefully. Don’t waste today. You don’t need a stage to practice. All the world’s a stage! Sorry…I couldn’t resist that one.

WORD!

32 Comments:

Blogger E_to_the_mily said...

Leonato is upset even though hero is "dead" b/c there is no garantee that their plan will work, and in order for it to work, she must play the part of a grieved mother. Also, i think that she'd be upset at the fact that her (and her daughters) honor was questioned in the first place, even if it was done so under a false accusation.


I shall practice diligently (sp?)

mucho love!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

Any Drama member interested in ushering and is not in the show call mandy, her number is listed below.

If you volunteered to bring in concessions bring them tomorrow, she assumes bring them to Mr. Bair's room. If you didn't sign up, bring in stuff anyway. Anything you bring will be appriciated.

Any questions call Mandy 240-818-1073. Her computer crashed and won't and she wont be able to see anything you post here so please call her.

12:36 PM  
Blogger RenataS said...

Hey I got them white (ok so one is gold but eh work with me here) dresses didn't I? I just didn't appreciate the 48 hours notice...makes it feel unplanned and rather thrown together. And yeah girls please please please bring your slips.... I don't think you want your parents to be looking at that!

1:05 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Ok, so the beads are only for Dogberry? Apparently there is a "pirate" store in Hagerstown. I may try to go today to purchase the piratey socks the watch has been after. You should have the make-up list. Will the extras just have the basics (foundation,manstick/lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, blush?) Because if that is the case, I am sure most of the female extras will be able to do their own make up and the other male extras, making it ten times less chaotic for the make-uppers(?). So anyone that has parents that like shirts, of a production persuasion, should really purchase one. We have 13 left and I am hoping to take that number down to 0 (kind of like captain planet and pollution.) READ MY BLOG PLEASE! Except for you, Mr. Bair. Your comment about the snow made me happy. (The overnight snow is by far the most magical.)

1:20 PM  
Blogger kdawg_izzle said...

Is the question supposed to be "If Leonato knows that Hero ISN'T dead, why is she so upset?"

Well, Emily pretty much covered it. It is her only chance to redeem herself as well as Hero. Plus, she is a mother and everything is crumbling around her. She has lost control, of herself as well as the situation.

Indeedy I can announce it...and you better be ready...it's gonna be grrrreat!

HOLLA

1:50 PM  
Blogger Beth S* said...

OK... so my sister Brittany is home and loves helping with hair/makeup so she will be back to help (i did ask you Mr. bair- didnt i?) And i will hopefully be able to help with makeup backstage as well (i love doing peoples stage makeup- im not weird)

oh and how should the hair for female characters be?? just curious...

enjoy the snow!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok,
and if you need the makeup list again I have most of it in my head
9 Medium cream or liquid foundation
2 black mascara
2 brown mascara
3 or 4 puff-things for applying powder
2? dark powders
1 bag of wedges (we can always use more though)
um...
thats all I remember,
of course then whatever you need for facial hair and blood, we can use eyeliner and mascara for stubble. And since we have so many men, another lipstick designed for men might be good, in retrospect

2:04 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

OK....so I think I'm being a bit ambitious about heading to Frederick. I took the boys for some sledding, and well, we did some sledding in between the sledding. Hmmm...

I will try again in a few hours, and then, I'll head off to school.

MjB

2:07 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

wow...glow in the dark tape would be amazing...and flashlights would indeed be very helpful...i had my nice little keychain light the other day...but that obviously wasnt enough for everyone...it's 2:19 right now...i dont know if its too late...hopefully i can come to the school to help with taping and stuff...later!

o yeah...and we were planning to fix gels in row 2 during class today...but that obviously didnt work out so well...maybe i can work on that today as well.

another thing...some of the grapevines are falling apart...so if i can...i will help there too.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! And another thing. I'm an aide 2nd period, so I can come in and help do any of this stuff that needs to be done tomorrow.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Leonatos....

What about the second half of my question?

MjB

P.S. I don't see me getting to school until 6:00 at the earliest. By the way, you cannot come to school today. It's snowing.

3:10 PM  
Blogger kdawg_izzle said...

Why is is redundantly misunderstood?

Because we don't it make a point to emphasize that Hero's future is all we have...

I hope I understood the question because the phrase "redundantly misunderstood" kinda confused me. Isn't all misunderstanding redundant?

3:37 PM  
Blogger E_to_the_mily said...

kelly, i freaking love you, and i agree that it is our fault it is not coming across that way.

3:43 PM  
Blogger rossen said...

Ok so yesterday the only thing I missed was Act I Scene 2. Other then that what else? I think I am ok with props. Are there things you would like to added or taken away?

Rossen

3:51 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Would someone please call John and tell him to check his e-mail.

MjB

3:52 PM  
Blogger kdawg_izzle said...

i love you too...practicing?

3:53 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Kelly,

I used the phrase, "redundantly misunderstood" because I believe that there is more than one opportunity to express the important fact. Thus, I think you and the Friar are not expressing the point clearly enough.

MjB

4:04 PM  
Blogger kdawg_izzle said...

Gotcha...
any suggestions...
or hints?

4:22 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Well the pirate store was a bust. I have horticulture second period. I am sure Mr. Heavner would allow me to miss part of the period to help out, if needed.
Tomorrow, we are to be where at 1:00?

5:05 PM  
Blogger Brennan said...

Sara, my computer doesn't like your blog. I've tried entering the address you gave about twelve times, but it keeps telling me there's something wrong with the security certificate, whatever that is. I haven't the faintest clue what's on there. Sorry.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

so on thursday...are we going to find someone to sell tickets on the third lunch shift?...because pretty much everyone will be at the in school performance.

just wondering.

5:14 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Try clicking on my name above, and then clicking on the link on my profiley thing.

5:26 PM  
Blogger kdawg_izzle said...

95 cookies?!

You, my dear, are crazy...

5:32 PM  
Blogger RenataS said...

Alright Bair

John L. is covered in terms of sandels...they aren't perfect....but they will work.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very bad news! I am having some extreme back pain that I recently found out is because one of my legs is longer than the other...I am going to hope that it will go away by tomorrow (the pain, not the leg). I will talk to you after first period tomorrow about if I am able to go on stage without a wheelchair! Wish me luck! Thanks!

11:37 PM  
Blogger RenataS said...

Alright Mr.Bair we have a two hour delay ummm what does this mean in terms of our in school production?

6:50 AM  
Blogger Beth S* said...

yeah it is jackie!!!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

so we still get out at 1? or has anything changed? i'm just going to assume its the same.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case you are worried when I am not there, I have a 10:30 appointment this morning. hopefully Ill still make it for the inschool, but if not im doublecast so its OK. I might have broken my thumb, so Im just getting it checked out/splinted. Nothing too bad.

8:39 AM  
Blogger RenataS said...

I gotcha covered Anna!Good luck with that thumb! I've been there before lol....

8:43 AM  
Blogger Brennan said...

I have the attention span of a flea. Sorry Mr. Bair. I DID get home okay last night. Hope I didn't worry you.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Brennan said...

So, what's going on with the inschool performance, assuming we have anyone healthy enough to act?

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home