The Ideal Husband and the State of the Drama Nation
Welcome Travis! It has been a long time.
The State of the Drama Nation Winter 2008
ACTING: I knew this was going to be a transitional year. We lost so much leadership and skill last year, and the natural result would be growing pains. We have experienced that in a large way. Let's face it; there has been a void in this group all year.
That void, for lack of a better term, can be called the "Alpha Male" or the "Queen Bee." Regardless of which you choose, the end result is the same; no one has stepped forward in this group and "taken the bull by the horns." In every show, there has to be the one person who is the "rock" or the "anchor" or the show. Who is that?
Many people in the past few days have watched this production and said that you, as a group, lack a sense of cohesiveness and concern. They see the pieces are in place, and they recognize that each of you has worked hard on your part. However, they nor I see that sense of togetherness, unity, and teamwork that is necessary to take a show from good to excellent.
Specifically, you are too quiet, too slow, and too monotonous. Furthermore, most of you are struggling with lines and cues still. Finally, since this play is full of dialogue and short on action, you can't give a lifeless performance. Each act is 30 minutes, and you will lose your audience by intermission if you don't increase your energy and speed.
Therefore, for the last time, I challenge someone in this group to step forward and say to everyone else, "Jump on my back, and I'll carry you through this." I would settle for someone saying, "I haven't given 100% of my heart to this, but I will today." Finally, I would even be happier if someone among you cared as much about this as I do. If you exist, share that passion while on stage, and then, share it backstage with the rest of the cast.
COSTUMES: We're still dancing in a land I don't understand. We need to settle on a Chilton costume. Did we call Cherelles yet? Kodi's pants ripped yesterday, so we need to have those repaired. Can someone run to Cherrelle's tomorrow night? I didn't see the red dress at all tonight. We're paying for that. I didn't see the white dress either. We're paying for that. I see boys with tennis shoes and all kinds of other shoes. The girls need jewels of some kind. We still have some work to do here.
PUBLICITY: While I'm happy with nearly everything, I have to question the large stack of posters that are still in the auditorium. What are we doing with those? Where have the posters been placed? I would like a list as quickly as possible. Assuming that your ticket and ushering folks are prepared, you have done well.
MAKEUP: I'm still holding onto the belief that you have this covered. I will be shopping tomorrow morning for the final time before this show. If there is anything else you need, let me know as soon as possible.
LIGHTS and SOUND: I really need to watch the lighting tomorrow. Sound wise, it appears that you are prepared. Why did the alarm clock replace the buzzer today? It should really be a bell, like the kind used when you're entering a shop. Can you find one? I will watch the lights tonight. Also, as troubling as this might be, we must mount the monster chandelier.
CONCESSIONS: Make certain that you have enough volunteers to help with this. I would like a list as soon as possible.
STAGE CREW/PROPS: These changes are not easy, and I know it. I also realize that you haven't had the same group twice in a row to do this. It seems to me that we really need to look at those maps and assignments carefully before the change arrives. It seems like we're scrambling more than we need to scramble. Follow your assignments. If you do anything that you shouldn't do, everything will not function properly. Be quick and quiet.
CONSTRUCTION: OK...we need to build a railing during class today. I don't care what it takes, and I don't even care how nice it looks. We have to finish that. Also, see the chandelier note in lights! Smile....we're almost finished.
PROPS: I am going to remain nervous about props until I see this show run with every prop in place. As of this writing, I haven't seen that. What troubles me most is that I think we should have a list of what we need at this point, and we don't. You keep saying that we have it all, but each scene seems to be missing a little something. If you need help ask. If you don't, then get it right this evening.
ART: Yoy....I'm glad that we have a plan. I just don't know how we're going to get it done on time. We would be completely at a loss if it weren't for Mrs. Windsor. Recruit help wherever necessary, but get the painting done as quickly as possible. We are really in need of a finished product from you. Do you believe in miracles?
FINAL THOUGHTS:
I have a copy of all the State of the Drama Nation handouts that I have written over the years. Some of them are far shorter and less troubling than this one. Some are exponentially longer and more dire. However, some of those shows managed to rise to the occasion and become great theatrical memories. Many of those groups created a legacy that follows them to this day.
Now, it's your turn to pave your legacy. Many of you are leaving at the end of this semester, and your legacy is upon you. This program was born out of desire to create theater that was different from all others both in style and excellence. You have a responsibility to maintain that legacy.
I could have chosen a much easier selection for this group. In many ways, that would seem to be the right thing to do. Perhaps there's still just a bit of that athlete remaining in me. As an athlete, I always wanted to play the best team, face the best pitcher, or even more accurately, play against guys who were older and more experienced than I was. I loved those challenges, and I believe that much of who I am can be attributed to always demanding a challenge.
This play is a challenge. Teenagers will have a hard time caring about the content, unless we give them a reason to watch. These characters are complex, the stage is compex, and concurrently, everything about this play is a challenge. I love the challenge. I live for the challenge. I want to know who wants to face this challenge and defeat it with me! I dare you!

15 Comments:
I accept your dare...even if I fail miserably.
EVERYONE!!! I'm doing it to enforce what Lauren is going to say tomorrow!!! If you said you'd bring in something for concessions BRING IT TO SCHOOL!!! the sooner the better. Bring anything you can...we can never have to much. The leftovers go to us anyway.
I am still home and willing to help in whatever way necessary. Just let me know.
This comment has been removed by the author.
http://www.grsites.com/exec/public/
soundview.cgi?dir=bells&fn=bells002.
wav&desc=Store%20entrance%20bell
its all one link without spaces, sorry for having to post it on 3 different lines but when i posted it all as one it went off the page.
its a shop bell sound effect if its needed.
I want to be there about 4:00 to go over act 4 with my new self. if thats O.K. with you. old kinderhook...
I'm going to accept this dare of yours. Today is our last chance, and I dont want to let anyone down. Not the actors, not stage crew, not tech, not the audience, not you. I'm going to live for todays challenge in the hopes of erasing yesterdays goofs.
This is Galen Speaking
Jackie needs to have an extreme costume change cause she is not by any means dressed for the time period, I got much feedback saying that she was the only thing some people could look at when she was on stage, she is dressed like... well yea... really stupid for the time period.
amen kyle... i too would like to come around 4ish to work on act four... is that cool????
And uh... after last night i have definitely decided to take the dare. i did not immediately accept because i didn't want it to be empty words. so yup...
Let's rock tonight guys!!!!!!!!!!
If for some reason Mr. Bair cannot be in at 4, I should be able to. Regardless, I will be there at 5.
Mr. Bair, I have to run some errands so if you need me to pick stuff up please give me a call. I will check the blog when I return home but it is more convenient to just get everything at once if possible.
I'll be there as close to 4:00 as I can. Michael needs help with a project, and David is having a physical problem. I'll do the best I can. If Miss Ford can get there at 4:00, that would really help.
MjB
P.S. Galen, Kyle, thank you.
Well, everywhere I needed to go closed at noon so I suppose I'll have to take care of that later. I'll spare you all my irritated rant.
Regardless, I will still run out and pick stuff up if needed; I just need to know what to get. If no response is posted here in the next couple hours I'll just call you, Mr. Bair.
hey everyone!
Right now I'm posting from outside the auditorium on Brian Koughs iphone!!!!!!
YAY!!!
like i told you saturday night i accept your dare as well c u in class
cheyenne
Mr. Bair, could you possibly bring the video of my brother tomorrow or Friday?
Good luck everyone!
Post a Comment
<< Home