Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Michael Crichton Dead at 66


For all of you who have e-mailed me or posted, I heard the news earlier this afternoon. I just could not find time to post anything. Crichton, whom I had the privilege of speaking with on two occasions, was an amazing thinker. He was always criticized for his lack of character depth, but for those of us who absolutely loved his material, understood that he could take the most complex concept and make it digestable to us.

Ironically, Crichton told me that Orwell was the one who inspired him to write, and he said that Orwell was the one whose style he admired most. As all of you know, Orwell runs a close third to Crichton and Chekhov in my book. While Orwell was the better writer and more apt to prognosticate, he lacked the ability of Crichton to keep me awake all night reading.

Finally, as most of you know, despite the constant attempt to convince me otherwise, I hold no credence, that's zero credence, in the concept of global warming. In STATE OF FEAR, Crichton, a Hollywood Insider and screenwriter, attacked the very concept in the only way he could; he used scientific fact. This further ingratiated him to those pundits who existed for the purpose of finding fault in his writing. It took guts. It was occupational suicide in a crazed society determined to find an explanation for what I believe is a natural phenomena.

However, Crichton, a former medical student, attacked the science that was anything but science. He exposed the nearly fanatical religious belief that man is the cause of global warming. He showed how governments, corporations, celebrities, and yes, you are I are kept in a constant "state of fear", which is necessary to keep us from having the confidence to question the experts, the corporations, and oh yes.....the freakin' government.

Thus, I bid Mr. Crichton farewell, and I thank him for always writing in a way that made me feel like I was being spoken to personally. I didn't always believe in your politics or morality, but at all times, you kept me entertained, educated, and in almost all cases, enlightened. Rest in peace.

MjB

"The views expressed in this commentary are strictly my own, and they do not represent the beliefs and opinions of those in this program. I know that. If you don't like my post, I'll remove it."

73 Comments:

Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

As I said before. I shall morn. T_T

11:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Mourn....:)

MjB

11:07 PM  
Blogger Arianna Church said...

ehehe.... Yeah Sam, I guess you forgout abot thouse early mourning English lessouns.

Alas, it is a said time when a creative genius is lost. I hope you find a new one in his honour. :)

11:53 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Wow...British spellings....how very refreshing!

MjB

12:24 AM  
Blogger sara said...

Perhaps an honourary staging of Jurassic Park by the Drama organisation should occur. Alumni Velociraptors?

12:27 AM  
Blogger AddThreeAndFive said...

I think it's funny you like Orwell, considering that he's a socialist...

7:35 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Orwell wasn't a socialist. Where did you get that?

MjB

P.S. Jurassic Park on stage would be the highlight of my career. I can see the headline now... "Ancient Director Directs Ancient Story."

7:48 AM  
Blogger julia said...

Pfff. Whatever. You're not even old. Doing Jurassic Park on stage would be more like your midlife crisis, not your opus.

11:44 AM  
Blogger sara said...

Pish posh.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would definitely come back to be a velociraptor.
As for global warming, I'm going to be an (actual) college student for a minute and point out that whether global warming is real or not, taking better care of the environment should be a priority.
But before you all dismiss me as a radical liberal, let me note that I agree that the temperature change is probably a natural phenomenon; a repeating cycle throughout history; the earth has been much hotter than it is now, and it has been much colder. Both have sustained human life.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Yes, carrying for the world is a responsibility, but it shouldn't be a political agenda. It's like not telling the truth. I should be truthful, but I don't need laws, regulations, special interest groups, etc. to convince me to do that. Right?

MjB

5:12 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

By the way Julia, well said! It would be a mid-life crisis. Ironically, Crichton wrote Jurassic Park during his!

MjB

5:22 PM  
Blogger Saaaraaah said...

In my opinion, Jurassic Park on stage would be a way cooler mid-life crisis than any sports car.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

Yeah I figured I spelled that wrong v.v I wasn't sure

Edit: As I said before I shall mourn.

There.

5:42 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Clever girl.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree that the environment is not a political issue, in the same respect that try though we might, religion cannot be separated from politics. I think my view boils down to what kind of law should be put in place. I don't believe the government should be able to place laws on littering; that's absurd, and completely unenforcible. but I also believe that a law banning the use of chemicals that we know are dangerous to the environment would not be unjust. Such an action would force a company to find an alternative. That means more jobs in research and development. On the other hand, it means an expensive endeavor, as well as a loss of production while the solution is found. My best solution would be to find an alternative, and to use the production facilities in place until the alternative is ready. But until a need for the alternative arises, no one is going to bother looking for the alternative. Such a law as described above would act as that motivator.

8:31 PM  
Blogger julia said...

Wow, Scott. I respect you and your articulation.

8:58 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Clever Scott.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Well....you are entitled to your opinion. At the risk of starting a maelstrom, your opinion, while logical, is still flawed to me. At the very least, it ignores my central point. It shouldn't take a law. A law is the equivalent of the parent telling you that you must do something. I say it's a moral issue. Purposefully destroying the environment is a moral crime. It's like urinating in your cup of water that you need to stay alive. I don't need a law or policy to tell me that it's wrong. It's intuitive.

MjB

9:37 PM  
Blogger julia said...

Yes, but what to do about those people who aren't as intuitive as our Mr. Bair, and urinate in their metaphorical cup of water?

9:40 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Global warming is nothing at which to sneeze.

Now, when will these supposed one acts take place?

9:44 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Global warming isn't. It's a natural cycle. The one-acts are December 4, 5, and 6, just like "Lend Me a Tenor."

9:52 PM  
Blogger julia said...

Hm. What peculiarities. You can imagine that the viewpoints are entirely different up here in Massachusetts.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

Happy Birthday again, Mr.Bair. By the way, my mother would like to know how old you are. > <

10:01 PM  
Blogger ZeroAikido said...

The only time that an alternative will be pursued is if its more profitable then the current method. Hence the spike in alternative fuel research when oil was around 180 dollars a barrel. I find it interesting that suddenly no one gives a wombat about alternative fuels now that oil is down to around 60 dollars a barrel. So I'm basically agreeing with you Scott. At least we will have more corn. Oh and a happy belated birthday Mr.Bair. I will be sure to drop by give you a match of football or some other sport in the near future.

10:14 PM  
Blogger ZeroAikido said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

I am 43, and I expect NO ONE in your age group or in New England to view the world in terms that I could possibly relate to or understand. Believe me, the past few days have verified that.

MjB

P.S. Don't mind me.....I love all of you. My frustrations with a multitude of things is getting to me.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

I guess a little younger but ok

10:39 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

That's because I look so youthful....yeah....ok....

MjB

10:40 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

I guessed a little younger. lol ^.~ feel better.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

Of course you're youthful. You would not be able to handle a drama 1 class if you weren't.

10:43 PM  
Blogger julia said...

For once I am proud to be an American, and to have voted, though.

Also, happy birthday! I miss your presence in my life.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

We miss you too, Julia T.T
I am being sent to bed for the night, see most of you tomorrow.
I love you all.
~Jinx

10:55 PM  
Blogger julia said...

Seriously?! You have no idea how much that brightens my day to know I am missed. Maybe that's selfish.

I'll come back and teach you young folks about stuff I learn! If Mr. Bair lets me.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Thanks Julia...I have a thought about that, but I'm highly doubtful you want to hear it. I miss you very much.

MjB

P.S. I might add that it's not what you think, not by a long shot.

11:03 PM  
Blogger julia said...

Oh no! You can't hint at stuff and then not tell me! What is it?

So... some news for you then... I'm transferring back home, too. Either after this semester or after this school year I think. There's a lot of reasons. Sara and I are both coming back, actually. Too many existential crises and feelings reminiscent of Largo Desolato for me. Also maybe this idealized "college experience" is just not for me. Surprised?

11:08 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

No, I'm not surprised. I have spent time in New England. Honestly, it's rare that someone from the South travels North and feels comfortable. It works the other way around for an odd reason. Just...before you do it, ask yourself whether this is a comfort thing, or is it really best for your future?

MjB

P.S. Oh...that Mason-Dixon Line is quite real.

11:11 PM  
Blogger julia said...

Best for my future. I do know this. I need to do it financially, mentally, and academically. I know I can be strong, and I know I can be positive, and I need to find a setting in which to foster those things. I am afraid of it being for comfort, but I know I cannot escape my problems ever anywhere. And I cannot escape stagnation when I am not doing anything.

Also... my relationship to theater is changing.

Are you not going to tell me what you hinted at?

11:17 PM  
Blogger sara said...

I have concluded that New England is a wonderful place for vacation, but trying to establish a new connection is difficult. The latter is probably true of many places, but personally I am having great difficulty. As Julia mentioned, I am returning home after this semester.
I miss everyone dearly.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not try to avoid your central point. I agree, that it should not take a law. Nevertheless, I agree with Julia that not everyone shares your moral code (a point which, by the way, you have not addressed) I think that the government should have fewer powers, and leave people to govern themselves, but I believe that that right only extends as far as the person effects themselves. Once more than one's self and immediately family are effected, then it becomes a political issue. And the environment effects everyone.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Now that sounds out of place. The reason was that I started that comment 20 minutes ago, and didn't realize the conversation had moved on. Julia and Sara, I'm sure you will, but I advise you both to think long and hard about going home. I have had an uphill battle ever since I came to NY, but I stuck it out, and I think the ends will justify the means. Please, like Mr. Bair said, make the right choice for your futures.

11:37 PM  
Blogger sara said...

I stand firm in my decision to go home. It is better for me financially, personally, and career wise.

11:41 PM  
Blogger julia said...

I really appreciate it, Scott, but I don't need advice on this situation. I have spent too long trying to fulfill the expectations of other people by listening to them, when really I'm finding that whatever wisdom I have is a thing that unfolds from the inside outwards.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Well...girls....I quit college after one year because I knew I wasn't ready. Even as I was leaving, walking out of the door, I knew I wasn't ready. I quit, and vowed to never return. After a year of doing everything from selling vacuum cleaners to working for a moving company, I realized that my view of the world had been too narrow.

I'm not telling you to stay. That has to be a decision you make. I would not be the person I am today if I hadn't quit college that first time. When I returned, I was a very different person. I had a much broader view of the world, and I, for the first time, accepted my limitations and potentials.

If you go back and read again, what I asked you to do was to consider whether it was a comfort issue. Even if it is a comfort issue, that doesn't mean you shouldn't come home. It just means that you should recognize why you're doing what you're doing, and then, you need to attack those "comfort demons" because I suspect that they have little to do with where you're going to school.

Posted in Love...

MjB


P.S. Scott, you are eerily starting to sound like someone from New York. You know how much I like relativism.

12:10 AM  
Blogger julia said...

Are you not going to tell me what you hinted at?!!!!

12:16 AM  
Blogger julia said...

Obsessive personality... must know... implosion happening...

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is my being in NY your only fallback? Good grief, it's like me pointing out the hairloss in males at the age of 43.

12:45 AM  
Blogger ALORA said...

Oh Julia, you must teach me too. I love learning from you. I really do.

It always makes so much sense...

7:50 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I can't believe I totally missed all of this until this morning...dang it...

8:04 AM  
Blogger julia said...

It was a veritable chatroom, Mandy.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

It still is a veritable chat room.

MjB

P.S. No, I have more to fall back on. I just found that line to be so unlike you.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'You have allowed this dark lord to twist your mind until now, you have become the very thing you swore to desttroy'
-Obi-Wan Kenobi

At least I will be leaving NY in a couple of months, and go to Cal. As exemplified by their recent vote, some traditional values are still held out there.

1:05 PM  
Blogger julia said...

And you're still entirely ignoring my entreaties, Mr. Bair. Let me know if I ought to give up and desist, or like any great struggler-- persist.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

You would never give up. Persist....

MjB

4:31 PM  
Blogger julia said...

AAAGGHH!!! Do I need to e-mail you or something?!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

"the freakin' government", nice :P. Sorry to hear about the news, but I must admit, that's pretty cool you got to meet the man a few times.

I agree the world is practically rotting away though, and it's a shame that not enough people are realizing it to make even simple changes. One doesn't necessarily have to be passionate or wise about the issue to be able to do something as simple as say not litter. "Oh gee, no trash can near by, guess I can't hold on to my trash for a few second, so I'll go ahead and have Earth do it" *spikes Big Gulp cup to the ground*. It's obnoxious and ignorant.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Behold!
I hast stumblest upon Ludwig's most quellsome joke!. alas, it canst be explainest on the blog, for it contains bulls, The cantering of women and possibly a morsel of civility. I will openest the subject further within a fortnight.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

thats how deep it is.

9:16 PM  
Blogger ZeroAikido said...

Nice one Matthew.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Julia,

BINGO!

MjB

10:26 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

Mr.Bair, I'm sorry sorry I wasn't in school today, I sick T_T. I'll be there tomorrow though.

3:57 PM  
Blogger ALORA said...

Bah... likely story Sam..

We all know you like to party a little too hard on the weekends...

Jeeze.
=P

7:23 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

O.o

Oh darn you caught me!

However I did get to sleep until 1. That was about the only pleasant part of being sick.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Saaaraaah said...

Mr. Bair,
Did you get my email?

9:49 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bair said...

Sarah?

Concerning the lighting board? Yes...come visit me tomorrow!

MjB

10:19 PM  
Blogger julia said...

I sent you an e-mail. Did you not get it?

10:43 PM  
Blogger *kasey* said...

ACTORS IN LIFE O THE PARTY OR A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL!!!! don't forget to fill out the paper i gave you today...i need it back asap. if you didnt get one, see me tomorrow. thanks :)

10:54 PM  
Blogger Sammy Flying High said...

~waits patiently for a new post~

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh! so i was reading this very opinionated conversation and found myself laughing(alot!) then i came across someone saying happy birthday to Mr. bair.....knowing im late because i was completely unaware of this peice of info im still saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!


p.s. sorry Mr bair for the major mess-ups in my grammer/spelling/whatever else :)

1:40 PM  
Blogger jacob reinhart said...

holy cow Mr. Bair has Birthdays cool i might be able to come for a little bit tomorrow but i will have to leave early because i have to go the burial of my great grandmother's ashes

umm... i feel as if i'm forgetting something... oh yes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

sincerely yours,
Reinhart

By the way can't believe the guy who made Jurassic Park died :(

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh thats who that guy is? wow i feel dumb... i guess that is what happens when u dont read stuff sorry :)

4:36 PM  
Blogger jacob reinhart said...

Mr. Bair i saw the perfect birthday gift if you want it let me and I'll give you money for it. it is call Bosley hair restoration and it looks perfectly natural.

If your interested let me know.

sincerely yours,
Reinhart

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jacob that is completely mean!!!! Mr. bair u dont need anything like that lol.......you head is fine with a lack of hair on it lol jk jk......


oh and i was just messing jacob love the joke

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home